The man-on-the-street video approach has taken the video world by storm, with many using them for marketing, social media campaigns, and promotional videos.
Unfiltered and organic, these videos feature real people offering their insights in a natural style that resonates with audiences. This video concept is nothing radical; Jay Leno famously gained recognition for his ‘Jaywalking‘ interrogations where he would unexpectedly quiz regular folks on the street about current events.
Today there are a variety of ways to capture man-on-the-street video content. It can be done in studio settings or on location, with professional video crews or one person with a smartphone. This type of video content is a great way to capture real people and real stories that your audience can connect with.
When creating man-on-the-street videos, it’s important to be authentic and engaging. It’s essential to choose the right talent or interviewees who will best represent your brand.
If you’re looking to create man-on-the-street videos of your own, we have to go some ideas for you.
What Is Man-On-The-Street Video?
Man-on-the-street video is a type of documentary filmmaking that records everyday people’s reactions and opinions, especially on current events. They’re usually shot in an urban or public area and feature interviews with passersby. The videos are often used to gain insight into the opinion of the general public, either for research or promotional purposes.
How to Make a Man-On-The-Street Video?
Creating man-on-the-street videos requires planning and preparation. Here are some tips on how to create great content:
- Select the right location and time – Choose an area with lots of foot traffic or that has something specific to do with the topic of your video.
- Have a detailed plan – Think about what you want to ask and how you want to present it. Make sure that you have all the equipment needed for shooting, and make sure everyone involved understands the purpose of the project and their role in it.
- Gauge interest – It is important to be able to gauge the interest of passersby. Make sure you are courteous and respect their wishes, but also make sure that you can quickly determine if someone might be interested in participating or not.
- Approaching strangers – Always approach with a friendly attitude and don’t forget to smile! Ask questions that are open-ended and avoid leading questions that invite “yes” or “no” answers.
- Edit carefully – Make sure you edit your video so it is coherent, concise, and clear. Try to keep the videos short but informative.
50 Man-On-The-Street Video Ideas
- Ask people what they think of the current political situation or the recent election
- Ask people to describe their dream job
- Ask people about local businesses and restaurants
- Ask people for their thoughts on a celebrity gossip story
- Ask people what makes them laugh
- Ask people for their thoughts on a new movie or TV show
- Ask people about current trends in fashion
- Ask people for their favorite recipes
- Ask people about living in a certain city
- Ask people why they use a specific product or service
- Ask people what advice they would give to someone starting out in a new career
- Ask people what they think about current events
- Ask people about their favorite books and authors
- Ask people for their thoughts on the best way to spend time off work
- Ask people to describe the most difficult decision they ever had to make
- Ask people how they would react to a zombie apocalypse
- Ask people what their biggest life lesson has been so far
- Ask people for tips on how to stay healthy and fit
- Ask people about the most memorable gift they ever received
- Ask people why they decided to pursue a particular career path
- Ask people for their thoughts on the current state of the economy
- Ask people what they think is the most important issue facing society today
- Ask people how technology has changed their lives in recent years
- Ask people where they see themselves in 5 years
- Ask people to describe a moment that changed their life
- Ask people for their thoughts on the best way to spend money
- Ask people what they think of the recent changes in healthcare policy
- Ask people how they stay connected with friends and family around the world
- Ask people what was the best day of their life so far
- Ask people for their thoughts on the future of education
- Ask people what they think is the most challenging problem facing the world today
- Ask people to describe a moment when they felt discouraged and how they overcame it
- Ask people what advice they would give their younger selves
- Ask people about their favorite memories from childhood
- Ask people how they manage stress
- Ask people what their plans are for the future
- Ask people what they think of the current state of their city or town
- Ask people to share a funny story
- Ask people about their favorite activities and hobbies
- Ask people what they think are the benefits of living in a digital age
- Ask people to share their favorite inspirational quotes
- Ask people for their thoughts on the current state of the environment
- Ask people to describe something that changed their life for the better
- Ask people about volunteer work that they’ve done in the past
- Ask people what their favorite piece of technology is
- Ask people for tips on how to stay motivated and productive
- Ask people about their favorite charities and causes
- Ask people how they’re preparing for retirement
- Ask people what kind of jobs they think will be in demand in the future
- Ask people what their favorite moment from the past year was and why.
Examples of Great Man-On-The-Street Shorts
Caleb Simpson’s Man-On-The-Street video is a perfect example of the power and creativity of this format. In his production, he asks people in New York City how much they pay for rent each month – highlighting just one way that you can create interesting content with inventive questions.
The Take Away
Man-on-the-street videos are a great way to engage with your audience and create original content. Try asking people questions related to local businesses and restaurants, celebrity gossip, fashion trends, recipes, current events, books and authors, career advice, and more.
With the right approach, you can capture interesting stories from everyday people that will help you create memorable and engaging content. Good luck!